The Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course has been developed to meet high academic standards, ensuring that as a graduate you can display with pride the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate you will earn from the International Association of Professions Career College.
Topics covered in the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course include the following:
This section offers helpful tips and links to free resources to start a bed and breakfast business in the United States or Canada.
- An overview of your options for starting a bed and breakfast:
– Buying an existing bed and breakfast inn along with its furnishings, future bookings, and reputation
– Finding a house or other property that has the potential to be a great bed and breakfast inn
– Starting a bed and breakfast in your current home
- How to become an “inn sitter” for bed and breakfast owners who want to take a vacation (including how much to charge)
- Where to find inns advertised for sale
- Advice on what to consider when choosing the location for your bed and breakfast
- Choosing the inn’s size based on how much income you want
- Tips to avoid a purchasing mistake (what to ask and what to look for in an inn’s financial statements)
- Sample business plan for starting a bed and breakfast
- Where to find information on important business matters such as licenses, permits, and insurance
- Tips on renovating and decorating your inn
- Naming your bed and breakfast inn
Running Your Bed and Breakfast
- What guests expect when they visit a bed and breakfast
- How to set your room rates
– Costs to consider to ensure you won’t lose money
– Factors that add value to each of your rooms
– What you need to do or have to be able to charge more than other local bed and breakfasts
- How to take reservations
– Questions to ask when people call to make reservations for your bed and breakfast
– What to include on a guest reservation form (includes a sample guest record)
– Sample cancellation policy for a bed and breakfast
– The best hospitality industry software programs for reservations and record keeping
- Setting policies for your bed and breakfast (including whether to accept pets and children)
- What to have in common areas of your bed and breakfast (the areas all guests have access to)
- Handling repairs, housekeeping and maintenance when you open a bed and breakfast
- Dos and don’ts for guest safety
- Small but significant things you can do to delight your bed and breakfast guests and keep them coming back
- What you need to know about food when you open a bed and breakfast
– What to include in a continental breakfast
– What to include in a full breakfast
– 7 types of special dietary requirements
– What time to serve breakfast
– Other food you might choose to offer when you open a bed and breakfast (e.g. check-in snack, “happy hour” munchies, bed time snack, etc.)
- Cleaning products for the hotel industry
- Bed and breakfast supplier information (from bedding to bath soaps to breakfast supplies)
Marketing Your Bed and Breakfast
- How to market your bed and breakfast inn through reservation agencies (companies that will advertise your bed and breakfast and take reservations for you)
- Creating a website for your bed and breakfast (including an online reservation form)
- Directories where you can promote your bed and breakfast
- Marketing your bed and breakfast to people with special interests
- How to fill your inn during the off-season by promoting your bed and breakfast as a place for:
– Mystery weekends
– Business retreats and seminars
– Romantic weekends
– Other events
- Getting future bookings for your bed and breakfast by staying in touch with your guests
- The best conferences and trade shows for bed and breakfast owners
- Ideas for products you can sell at your bed and breakfast to increase your profits
Samples and Checklists
- Sample house rules
- Sample guest record
- Sample invoice
- Sample business plan
- Housekeeping checklists
- Repair and maintenance checklist
- Checklist for bedroom amenities
- Checklist for bathroom amenities
- Sample continental breakfast menu
- Sample full breakfast menu
What Happens in the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course
The Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate course is an online learning program with suggested readings from the textbook (FabJob Guide to Become a Bed and Breakfast Owner). This course is self directed, which means you may study and complete assignments at times that are most convenient for you from the comfort of your own home.
This part-time Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course has a recommended completion date of 6 weeks from the start of the program, however, you may choose to complete the course in as little as 4 weeks or as long as 12 weeks, depending on your schedule.
The Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course has been created to allow you to complete it without any teaching assistance. However, if you have questions or need assistance, you can receive help from a Faculty Member throughout the 6 weeks of the course. Your Faculty Member is a valuable resource person who can provide you with personal teaching assistance to help you succeed in the course and advice to help you succeed in the career.
What Is Included in the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course
This all-inclusive Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course package consists of:
- Registration for the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course
- Access to a Faculty Member to provide you with personal teaching assistance and bed and breakfast business advice
- (Optional) One year membership in the IAPO International Association of Professional Bed & Breakfast Owners
- Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate with your name printed on fine linen paper and embossed with the gold seal of the International Association of Professions Career College sent to you upon successful completion of the course
- Textbook: FabJob Guide to Become a Bed and Breakfast Owner (2014 e-book edition)
Registration for the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course
You can have all this for an incredible price. It can cost hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars to take other programs. (We found online courses based on old editions of our guides with registration fees of up to $999 and more.) We are able to offer you certificate courses at a significantly lower cost to you because of our expertise from 14 years of producing the leading guides for non-traditional careers.
Our career college certificate courses have previously been offered for a registration fee of $297 U.S. and include a textbook and one-year professional membership which sell separately for $29.97 U.S. each – a total value of almost $357.
BEST VALUE: This all-inclusive registration package for the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course is now priced at only $177 U.S. for the May 26, 2014 course.
How to Register
Click the “ADD TO CART” button above to register for the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course.
Enrollment is limited and registration is on a first come first served basis, so we recommend that you register early for the Bed and Breakfast Owner Certificate Course to avoid disappointment.
Easy Changes and Cancellations
It’s easy to change or cancel your course registration. See our FAQ page for details.